I had to read that headline twice myself after I wrote it. A Port Arthur, Texas man named James Rogers and his dog Leia, were found dead inside his car. Not only his car…but his dream car; a 2007 Corvette. This all happened in the parking lot of a crowded waffle house where Rogers had just eaten.
Rogers left the Waffle house and got in his car and closed and locked the car door. At that point it’s speculated that the cars battery cable which was loose, then disconnected from the battery, which shuts off the automatic locks. There are no door locks inside the 2007 Corvette to “pop” so it’s not intuitive how to get out of the vehicle. To further make things worse, temperatures on that day reached 92 degrees so you can imagine things began to heat up rather quickly.
That was the first thing that came to my mind, but James left his cell phone in the Waffle House.
HONK THE HORN
The loose battery cable also meant that the Horn didn’t work.
Police believe that Rogers tried to kick out the window because there were footprints all over the inside of the vehicle as you can imagine the 72 year old desperately tried to escape.
Once Rogers was discovered in the vehicle, it was too late. Employees and later first responders also struggled trying to get the Rogers out and eventually they needed to break the window. Both Rogers and his dog were pronounced dead. Heat exhaustion is the suspected cause.
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET OUT THEN?
There is actually an emergency Handle on the floorboard that is used to force open the doors but many drivers are not aware that this exists. A spokesman for General Motors says that the instructions are clearly int the cars owners manual and that there has never been a recall for this issue.
This problem appears more common than you might think. Here is a video posted on Youtube 4 years ago explaining just how to get out of the car with a dead battery.