When you name your kid Rowdy, you’re basically asking for something like this to happen. The 15-year-old boy from Texas has been in the intensive care unit at Children’s Memorial Hospital since Saturday after a homemade “sparkler bomb” exploded on him.
According to the report, the bomb contained more than 180 sparklers. He made the super firecracker by wrapping all the sparklers together with electrical tape. As he bent down to try to light the wick he designed, the device exploded and almost killed him.
Doctors were forced to remove his left leg below his knee and they say he has a 50% chance of losing his eyesight. He also lost “several” fingers and suffered severe burns to his hands and face.
Rowdy’s mother, Wendy Smith, told KHOU-TV the following…
“It’s really hard to see your baby go through all this. I just want the parents to know don’t let your kids play with fireworks. It’s not worth it. It really ain’t. It hurts because I want to see my kid talk to me and he’s not because he can’t. It’s really rough.”
And if you need an idea of what this sparkler bomb might have looked like, check out this video below…
Rowdy’s family has started a GoFundMe page for him. They posted the painful looking photo showing him breathing through a respirator with his eyes covered and burns all over his body.
According to the page, Rowdy wanted to be a mechanic when he grew up…
“He is going to be a freshman this year and wanted to be a mechanic when he grew up. Please help this wonderful family with everything they are going through and will continue to go through for the rest of their lives.”